Employment-related Casework

The Union’s casework services include:

  • advice on all aspects of employment;
  • the defence of disciplinary allegations or competency proceedings;
  • representation, where claims are deemed to have reasonable prospects of success, at employment tribunals for cases such as breach of contract, unfair dismissal/redundancy and discrimination.

The Union has 34 NASUWT Executive Districts covering the UK which are supported by National Executive Members and Local Association Officers.

This structure is supplemented by paid full-time officials who are based across nine Regional Centres in England and at the National Centres in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Specialist staff are based at the NASUWT National Headquarters in Birmingham who provide support across the UK.

Members requiring assistance should, in the first instance, contact the NASUWT Representative in their workplace.

If the particular problem proves to be incapable of resolution within the workplace, then advice should be sought from the appropriate NASUWT Local Association or Negotiating Secretary.

To obtain the relevant contact details, telephone your Regional Centre. If the Secretary is unable to deal with the matter personally, s/he will refer the matter to the National Executive Member, Professional Assistant or the Regional Official or Organiser.

Local casework is progressed most efficiently at a local/regional level. Accordingly, members and NASUWT Representatives should not contact Headquarters directly because this causes unnecessary delay as cases will be referred back to the appropriate official at local or regional level.

NASUWT members wishing to apply for casework assistance in relation to matters arising from their teaching employment will be required to accept the terms and conditions of the Casework Assistance Scheme.

You will need to provide your name, contact details and your NASUWT membership number.

If there is a problem with your membership or you do not know your membership number, contact the NASUWT Membership Team on 03330 145550.

NASUWT members who are three or more months in arrears with their subscriptions at the time the incident arose are not entitled to casework representation and/or legal assistance and cannot establish entitlement to representation by subsequently paying arrears.

Retired, former, career break and associate members who were in membership at the time the issue arose, and in the case of former members, providing they have not joined another teacher trade union, are also entitled to representation.

If you are dissatisfied with the service for any reason, contact the Legal and Casework Team at NASUWT Headquarters, Hillscourt Education Centre, Rose Hill, Rednal, Birmingham B45 8RS, call 0121 453 6150 between 8.30am and 5.30pm on weekdays or email legalandcasework@mail.nasuwt.org.uk.