Alternative Sources of Support and Advice for Members

The Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) can provide advice on entitlement to State Benefits. To locate your nearest CAB, look in your local Yellow Pages or go toCitizens Advice Bureau (new window) to use the CAB directory. Visit for advice and guidance on benefits (new window)

Payplan offers free, confidential money advice and professional debt management. Payplan have trained money advisors and will contact the member by telephone to discuss their circumstances and offer advice on dealing with their financial situation. A summary of the advice given will be submitted to the Legal and Casework Team who will then give the applicant’s benevolence case further consideration.

Alternatively, if urgent money advice is required, Payplan can be contacted directly on 0800 716 239. This service is available to anyone.

Education Support Partnership is an independent charity and can provide counselling and financial assistance to all teachers. Education Support Partnership can be contacted on 08000 562 561 (UK-wide) or click on the following link:educationsupportpartnership (new window)

Turn2us (which has joined with Elizabeth Finn Trust) is an independent charity that signposts people to types of financial assistance (i.e. grants and welfare benefits) that they may be entitled to. To access this free service follow the link:turn2us (new window)

Emergency Grants

Local Associations and Benevolent Federations can provide limited immediate assistance to applicants in financial hardship by providing a cheque or cash. This grant should not be issued as a matter of course but specifically for when members are in desperate hardship (i.e. as money for food).