The UK’s withdrawal from the EU

EU/EEA/EFTA and Swiss qualified teachers gaining QTS

Currently, qualified teachers from the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA), European Free Trade Area, (EFTA) and Switzerland have the right to have their professional status and qualifications considered for the award of Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) in England.

More details can be found on the Government's web page Routes to qualified teacher status.

EU, EEA, EFTA and Swiss teachers working in the UK

If you worked in the UK before 31st December 2020 and you want to continue to work and live in the UK, you should have signed up to the EU Settlement Scheme.

The deadline for applying to the Scheme was 30 June 2021. However, it is possible to make a late application if you have reasonable grounds for not making an application by this date. The Home Office has indicated that this could include not being aware that you needed to make an application.

If you have lived in the UK for a continuous five-year period, you will be entitled to settled status. If you have lived in the UK for less than five years, you will be entitled to pre-settled status.

Further details of the Scheme can be found at the Government's web page Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

Irish citizens

Irish citizens can continue living in the UK and do not have to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme; however, family members who do not have British or Irish passports are required to apply through the EU Settlement Scheme.

Advice for school leaders

A toolkit for employers is available on the Government's web page EU Settlement Scheme: employer toolkit.

UK teachers’ rights in the EU

Government information about living and working in the EU can be found on the Government's web page Living in Europe.

If you require further information and advice, please email the Member Support Advice Team.