The Outwood Grange Academies Trust (OGAT) is an academies trust based in Wakefield.
NASUWT trade union recognition transferred at the point of academy conversion for all NASUWT OGAT members. The NASUWT is currently organising to achieve a fit-for-purpose trade union recognition agreement which will include the following:
- Appropriate financial contributions to local authority facilities arrangements, so that Local Association, Federation and National Executive Members’ trade union facilities time is not reduced by academy conversion.
- Timetabled regular facilities time for academy-level NASUWT Representatives.
- Appropriate pre-meeting and pre-hearing time off from teaching to prepare fully for academy-level casework.
- A binding undertaking that all OGAT employees who are NASUWT lay officials suffer no detriment to their trade union facilities as a result of their transfer of employment to OGAT.
- Appropriate additional time off for NASUWT training up to 20 days per year.
- The NASUWT is leading all other OGAT unions on these issues.
- The NASUWT regularly consults its Academy Representatives and Local Association and Federation Secretaries about its bargaining priorities in OGAT Academies. A key NASUWT current bargaining and organising priority is full compliance with the NASUWT pay policy, teacher appraisal and classroom observation checklists.
At the moment, OGAT pay and teacher appraisal policies are not compliant with NASUWT national action instructions and NASUWT Academy Representatives should audit working practices at academy level against the NASUWT’s national action instructions, liaising with National Executive Members over the implementation of the national action in their academy.
No OGAT HR policies and procedures have been agreed with the NASUWT. OGAT Academies should therefore only use policies and procedures which were agreed prior to academy conversion when they were local authority-maintained schools.
For information about which policies and procedures have been agreed by the NASUWT for use in individual academies, please contact your NASUWT Local Association Secretary or Regional Centre.