Political Fund - Making a bigger difference for members
The NASUWT is a non-party-political organisation. However, we know that politics and political decisions affect the lives of teachers – our members. It’s just one of the reasons why the NASUWT has a Political Fund.
What is the Political Fund?
The NASUWT Political Fund is important to the work of the NASUWT.
As a trade union, we are required by law to have a political fund in order to be able to campaign, within the law, on issues that affect the pay and conditions of service of teachers.
The NASUWT Political Fund is not used to pay an affiliation or to donate financially to any political party. The NASUWT is an independent trade union and is not party-political.
The NASUWT Political Fund enables the Union to:
- Lobby for changes to legislation on matters affecting the working lives of teachers;
- Publicise the views of NASUWT members to politicians in Government and opposition parties.
Every ten years, the NASUWT will ballot members to ask them to say whether the Union should continue to have a political fund.
Without a political fund, there’s a lot the Union could not do to represent the views of members to Government, other politicians and to the general public.
The NASUWT Political Fund is your guarantee that your Union can use all of its influence to secure the policies that members want.
Why should new members “opt in” to the NASUWT Political Fund?
All new members are strongly encouraged to contribute to this fund by “opting in”. By choosing to “opt in”, a full-time member paying a full subscription will contribute £1.20 annually to the NASUWT Political Fund. Members joining the Union during the year will contribute to the fund on a pro rata basis.
The Political Fund enables the NASUWT to:
- lobby for legislation which is in the interests of teachers;
- campaign on issues that affect the pay and conditions of teachers;
- advocate for members’ trade union rights and teachers’ rights at work;
- raise awareness of the public and politicians about the Union’s policies and priorities and the concerns of members.
- make an even bigger difference for members;
- ensure that the voice of members is heard by governments across the UK on the key issues affecting teachers;
- lobby governments and politicians to change policies or legislation that affect the working lives of teachers;
- highlight the concerns of teachers to all governments, irrespective of which political party is in power.
Your contributions to the NASUWT Political Fund won’t be used to provide financial assistance or support to any political party. Whilst some organisations pay money to affiliate to particular political parties, the NASUWT does not affiliate to any political party. That means that irrespective of whichever political party is in power, every penny we collect from our members is used to put teachers first.
Please contact our Membership Team for an opt in form.
The NASUWT Political Fund is regulated by the Certification Officer in accordance with the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.