Arts & Minds
In light of the developing situation with regard to COVID-19 (coronavirus), the NASUWT has decided, in the interests of the health and safety of members and in view of the growing pressures on staffing in schools, to cancel scheduled events until September, when the situation will be reviewed.
I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, but I am sure that you will appreciate our reasons for making this decision.
Thank you for your continuing support for the NASUWT and we look forward to seeing you at our future events.
General Secretary (Acting)
2020 event closed
Arts & Minds is a schools-based competition organised by the NASUWT to celebrate Black History Month.
The competition is open to children and young people from primary, secondary and special schools across the UK.
The competition challenges children and young people to use art and creative writing to explore themes of race, diversity, equality and identity through artwork and creative writing. Entries should reflect the competition's aims to promote cultural diversity and equality and tackle racism in schools.
- The creative writing category includes all forms of creative writing, e.g. stories, poetry and lyrics.
- Working with our partners at the Anne Frank Trust UK, we also have a separate category for The Anne Frank Poetry Award for poems inspired by the life and writing of Anne Frank. More information about the Anne Frank Trust and this award are available on the Anne Frank Trust website.
- The art category covers all entries of artwork using a variety of media, including photography, digital artwork (excluding film and animation) and collage. Students should be encouraged to be as creative as possible but stay within the competition guidelines.
Prizes will be awarded to the best entries from across England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales in the following categories:
|Primary||up to the age of 11|
|Secondary||up to the age of 16|
|Special||designated special school or unit|
PrizesPrizes will include:
- £1,000 for the overall winning school;
- £350 for all winning schools;
- gift vouchers worth up to £100 for winning pupil/s.
CLOSING DATE: 19 June 2020