A chance to take a study trip to visit the USA to explore the American education system is on offer to NASUWT members. The Walter Hines Page Scholarships offer teachers the opportunity to spend two weeks visiting a number of American towns and cities to study a specific aspect of American education which interests them and is relevant to their job.
Organised by the English Speaking Union (ESU), the programme aims to promote the exchange of ideas, understanding and knowledge between Britain and the US.
Research by previous scholars has included studies into educational provision for autistic pupils, the impact of ethnicity on pupil attainment and approaches to teaching students with English as an additional language. Scholars receive a grant to fund their trip and their itinerary is co-ordinated by the ESU. The ESU also provides accommodation and a cultural programme to enable scholars to get a taste of American life.
Scholars must take their trip during the American school year which runs from October 2019 to May 2020 and must submit a report within one month of their return. Up to three scholarships are on offer to NASUWT members.
To apply, members will be required to provide a research proposal to the NASUWT which gives clear and where necessary, detailed information on the following:
- NASUWT membership and activity e.g. school representative, local officer posts held etc;
- The subject of the proposed study – the ESU is particularly interested in projects that have a strong language and communications dimension;
- Detail enlarging upon the reason for the choice of the study area and how you intend to conduct it;
- The extent to which you have already identified contacts or have knowledge of projects; academics; schools in the USA that you would like to visit during the course of the scholarship;
- The intended potential use of the study in your own professional development and /or informing policy and practice within your school or the education service generally.
The NASUWT will compile a shortlist of candidates who will be required to attend an interview at the ESU in London to select the successful applicants.
The closing date for applications is Wednesday 23 January 2019.
To request an application pack, email firstname.lastname@example.org quoting your NASUWT membership number.