The NASUWT continues to be extremely concerned about the position of supply teachers during the current national crisis and we have been pursuing answers to a range of questions with Government Officials and Ministers.
On 23rd March 2020, the Union had the opportunity to speak directly to the Westminster Secretary of State and Welsh Government Officials and share with them the issues facing supply teachers and pressed upon him the importance of issuing guidance to address these concerns as a matter of urgency.
We raised with the Secretary of State and Welsh Government Officials the following issues:
- the unacceptable and nonsensical decisions of schools who had supply teachers on long-term contracts cancelling those contracts and the NASUWT’s view that payment for these should be honoured by the schools and agencies;
- the letters some supply teachers have received from agencies advising them they are no longer being employed as supply teachers;
- access for supply teachers to the UK Government’s job retention scheme;
- the fact that supply agencies could benefit from the funding the UK Government is making available to small business and yet not be passing any of the funding on to the teachers registered with the agency;
- the reliance of some supply teachers on a set number of working days per month to enable them to cover their financial commitments.
We have been assured by the Westminster Secretary of State and the Welsh Government that these matters are being taken very seriously by the Government and that officials will be in touch with the NASUWT to address these concerns as a matter of urgency.
In the meantime, the NASUWT has already issued via the website answers to questions posed by supply teacher members for which information is available.
If you have received any written communication from any agency you are registered with or any other correspondence ending your employment with a school or agency, can you please copy this to the NASUWT Cymru email?
Any supply teacher members facing financial hardship should look at the information regarding the NASUWT Benevolent Fund web page.
We will send out a further update as soon as we have received the information we have requested.