• Influencing
  • Protecting
  • Campaigning

Advanced search

Conditions of Service in Scotland


Links below lead to the appropriate section of the page

Scottish Negotiating Committee for Teachers (SNCT)

The Scottish Negotiating Committee for Teachers (SNCT) is a negotiating framework for teachers’ pay and conditions of service. It is a tripartite body comprising members from the NASUWT, other teacher unions, Local Authorities, and the Scottish Government.

Conditions of service are determined:

  • At national level by the Scottish Negotiating Committee for Teachers (SNCT);
  • At local authority level by the local Negotiaing Committee for Teachers (LNCT);
  • At school level but only for certain aspects of the 35-hour working week - by the in school negotiating group (ISNG).


Family Friendly Rights


The NASUWT produces guidance for members with children on the provisions for Maternity, paternity and parental leave and pay. The guidance also contains information on rights to time off for family and domestic reasons.

Advice on the legal requirements is assessing risks in relation to new and expectant mothers’ job activities is set out in the Health and Safety Executive booklet New and Expectant Mothers at Work.

Members have the right to apply to work flexibly where they have:

  • children aged under 17;
  • disabled children aged under 18; or
  • carer responsibilities. 

The NASUWT has produced guidance on requesting Flexible working.

Each Local Authority should have a job share policy agreed with the local Negotiating Committee for Teachers (LNCT) which regulates the application process, as well as what happens when one job sharer leaves or wants to become full time.

Any teacher taking on a temporary or ‘fixed-term’ contract should contact the Scotland National Centre for advice or assistance if necessary. 

Further Education Colleges

Further Education Colleges do not have nationally agreed pay or terms and conditions of employment. Each establishment agrees their own.

Further information or assistance

Members needing further information or assistance should contact the Scotland National Centre.