Model policy (adverse events)
The survey results underpinning the Report to the 2009 Conference, Reporting incidents, accidents and assaults, highlighted continuing problems with the underreporting of accidents and assaults and breaches of statutory provisions concerning the health, safety and welfare of the workforce.
Following adoption of the Report by Conference the National Health and Safety at Work Committee has drawn up the following model policies and procedures for reporting, recording and investigating incidents, accidents, assaults, near misses and incidents of occupational ill health (referred to as adverse events):
For schools and colleges in England, Scotland and Wales where the Local Authority is the employer:
- Local Authority Model policy (MS Word - 86KB)
- Local Authority Model Policy with commentary (MS Word - 117KB)
For schools and colleges in England, Scotland and Wales where the Governing Body is the employer:
- Governing Body Model policy (MS Word - 81KB)
- Governing Body Model Policy with commentary (MS Word - 138KB)
For schools and colleges in Northern Ireland where the Education Library Board is the employer:
- Education Library Board Model policy (MS Word - 102KB)
- Education Library Board Model Policy with commentary (MS Word - 142KB)
All of these documents can, following login, be accessed by National Executive Members, Secretaries, Local Officers and Workplace Representatives
The commentary versions of the model policies provide background information that NASUWT secretaries will find helpful when seeking to negotiate implementation of these policies.