Professional Development Opportunities for Teachers
The NASUWT provides an array of professional development opportunities for all of our members, from student and newly qualified teachers through to those leaders and aspiring leaders. Professional development opportunities are free to members.
NASUWT Consultation Conferences
The NASUWT provides a number of conferences for under represented teachers throughout the year. There are conferences specifically for
- Black and Ethnic Minority (BME) members;
- women members;
- members with disabilities;
- young members;
- lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) members.
All of these conferences are becoming increasingly popular with many hundreds attending each conference each year, the NASUWT BME conference is now the largest annual gathering of black and ethnic minority teachers in Europe.
Training courses for members
The NASUWT provides a comprehensive free training programme for members. Many courses are aimed at those members who want to get more actively involved in the trade union, for example as a School Representative, Health and Safety Representative or a Union Learning Representative. Members who are interested in getting more involved in the NASUWT can find out more by visiting the getting involved pages of the website.
Professional Development for Newly Qualified Teachers
The NASUWT runs an annual UK wide seminar programme for newly qualified teacher members.
- The Preparing For Your First Teaching Post one-day seminars take place across the UK every July and August.
- In November every year new teachers gather to discuss issues emanating from the first term of teaching;
- In June every year those new teacher members evaluate their first year as a qualified teacher and look forwards to the next stage of their careers.
CPD throughout your career
The NASUWT provides a range of CPD for teachers at every stage of your career;
- A First Appointments lecture tour running throughout each academic year providing essential and motivational advice for final year students on finding a first teaching position;
- An annual seminar programme for newly qualified teachers across the UK;
- Five annual Consultation Conferences;
- Regular seminars and meetings for teachers undertaking supply work;
- Regular seminars and meetings for school leaders and aspiring leaders;
- A range of half day and full day workshops on areas including behaviour management and women's assertiveness.