Fire and theft insurance
Members of NASUWT receive fire and theft insurance cover free of charge within the cost of their Union subscription. The information below is a summary of the cover provided.
Loss or damage by fire and loss by theft in respect of the following items belonging to members of the Union:
Personal property and locked pedal cycles;
- Personal property pertaining to the teaching profession;
- Personal cash or that for which they are responsible.
For members who pay their subscription by Direct Debit or who have fully paid their subscription by any other means on or before 31 January each year the benefit levels are as follows:
- For loss of personal property due to fire/theft the policy limit is £125.00
- For loss of money due to fire/theft the policy limit is £100.00
For members who pay their subscription after 31 January each year and student members the benefit levels are as follows:
- For loss of personal property due to fire/theft the policy limit is £75.00
- For loss of money due to fire/theft the policy limit is £50.00
An excess of £10 each and every loss is set against the above benefits.
Any school premises within Great Britain, Eire and Northern Ireland, (including cover abroad in respect of members temporarily engaged overseas catering for the children of British Forces Personnel). School premises shall be construed as the confines of any school, college or educational institution, including school playgrounds and playing fields. Please note the policy specifically excludes theft from vehicles.
All incidents of theft must be reported to the police immediately and a claim notified in writing to the NASUWT within 30 days of the event. You will be required to disclose the crime reference number and the name and address of the police station on the claim form.
Please note it is a condition of the insurance that all ordinary and reasonable precautions are taken for the safety of the property insured and, as far as practicable, use should be made of all locks, bolts, fastenings and other means of securing the premises containing the insured property. Further, any cash or valuables left on school premises outside school hours should be secured in locked receptacles.
- Claim forms can be obtained from the NASUWT Membership team on 0121 457 6211
- Claims must arise from incidents on school premises
- Claims must be notified to NASUWT within 30 days of the event
- Theft from vehicles on school premises is specifically excluded
- Incidents must be reported to the police and a crime reference number obtained
- Members are expected to have taken reasonable precautions for the safety of their property